Accounts Payable Clerk
Company: Teach Mississippi
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Newton Municipal School District
Opened until filled
Newton Municipal School DistrictAccounts Payable Clerk
Under the direct supervision of the Business Manager, to assist in
the administration of the school district's accounts payable
function, ensuring the accuracy of invoices to be paid, and the
timely payment of school district expenses, maintaining accurate
account balances, in conformance with school district policies and
practices as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Assists in administering the school district's accounts payable
function, including the processing of purchase orders and invoices
for payment, and inputting and maintaining data and information
into the accounting system regarding accounts payable to ensure
records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Researches discrepancies regarding the accuracy of invoice
amounts, word counts, etc. for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and
implementing corrective measures, communicating with vendors,
consultants, translators, or others as needed to reconcile.
- Assists in inputting and maintaining all data and information
into the accounting system regarding accounts payable.
- Reconciles accounts payable invoice batches, and processes
payment checks or wire payments as directed.
- Develops reporting procedures and internal controls for timely
and accurate completion of reporting and record-keeping
- Maintains accounts payable records for accurate and up-to-date
filing and recordkeeping.
- Composes correspondence to clients as needed for the purpose of
documenting activities, providing written reference and/or
conveying information regarding accounts payable issues, balances,
etc. Additional Duties
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of
ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the accounting
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and
responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy
machine, fax machine, telephone.
- Uses calculating devices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, performs complex
arithmetic operations and use calculators.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and
software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to problem-solve job-related issues.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding
school district financial and other information.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working
relationships with others contacted in the course of work. Physical
and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments. Qualification
- Any combination of education and experience providing the
required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be
qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field,
with course work in business, math, accounting, and bookkeeping and
- Some successful bookkeeping or accounting experience preferred.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Keywords: Teach Mississippi, Jackson , Accounts Payable Clerk, Other , Jackson, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!