Engineering Discipline Manager - Transportation (PE)
Company: Waggoner Engineering
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Services provided in this discipline area include (but are not
be limited to) planning, analysis, and design of multi-modal
transportation facilities, including Intelligent Transportation
Systems (ITS), roadways, traffic and bridges (local, arterial, and
highway), railroads, airports, transit and ports.
Summary/Objective of the Position
The position of Sr. Discipline Manager/Client Account Manager is a
highly billable position, and the majority of the discipline
manager functions will be facilitated through project work.
Following are objectives of the position:
- Provide technical and thought leadership to Waggoner staff and
clients in this discipline area.
- Facilitate staff development in this area.
- Facilitate the growth and development of this discipline at
- Provide production resources and tools to Waggoner in execution
of projects in this discipline area.
Responsibilities/Essential Functions of the Position Following are
the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
these essential functions.
1. Serves as Waggoner's technical lead in executing the performance
of the services included in this discipline area.
- Assists project managers and CAMs in the development of
technical scope of work, budget, and schedule associated with the
projects in this discipline.
- Serves in responsible charge of all aspects of the discipline
and has significant management responsibilities to execute the
responsibilities and duties of the position. Specific authority
limits include but are not restricted to the following:
-To hire personnel previously approved.
-To exercise company disciplinary policies and measures including
termination with reference to personnel.
-To perform 360 performance reviews on staff. 2. Mentors and
develops Waggoner staff in the various skill sets necessary to
execute the various service areas within this discipline.
- Maintains personal development and competencies necessary to
function as Waggoner's technical and thought leader in this
- Identifies, recruits, and mentors staff with skills and
interests consistent with this discipline.
- Provides the environment to support personnel training. 3.
Facilitates the growth and development of the discipline at
- Remains abreast of the trends and opportunities impacting the
various service areas.
- Develops and grows Waggoner's capabilities in the various
service areas within this discipline.
- Identifies and develops project opportunities for new work
and/or expanded services for new and established clients for this
- Works closely with marketing staff to develop marketing and
sales plans and pursue business in the discipline area.
- Works closely with other managers related to discipline area
services for their projects and pursuits.
- Develops proposal strategies for opportunities in this
discipline that utilize Company's strengths and innovative thinking
to gain a competitive advantage.
- Ensures client quality expectations are met.
- Handles client technical questions and complaints through the
PM, handles client's complaints politely and efficiently, follows
procedure to solve client technical problems in collaboration with
PM, maintains pleasant and professional image. 4. Provide
production resources and tools to Waggoner in execution of projects
in this discipline area.
- Determines equipment, software, information, communications,
etc., needed for the discipline.
- Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to
excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality
levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality
problems. Is responsible for the development of "doing the job
right the first time" culture for staff in this discipline.
Competencies of the Person Holding this Position
- Possesses strong technical expertise in this discipline.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally with clarity and
- Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form, clearly and
- Listens with genuine interest, encourages discussion, and does
not monopolize conversations.
- Provides timely and effective communications with team members
regarding project status and expectations.
- Accepts diversity of opinions, is unafraid to let people speak
their minds, and solicits different views.
- Develops effective project work plans: -Clearly defines goals
and the actions required to accomplish them. -Considers possible
changes, constraints or other obstacles that might impact plans.
-Accurately estimates time and resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Establishes Relationships
- Leverages Opportunities -Scans the environment for
opportunities to grow the discipline or accelerate performance.
-Encourages people to exploit chances to drive the business
forward. Services Clients Works toward the goal of having clients
view us as the technical expert in this field. Stays aware of
client technical needs, concerns and satisfaction. Responds
promptly to client technical questions and requests in cooperation
with PM. Effectively manages client technical expectations.
Supervisory Responsibility of the Position This position directly
supervises all staff within this discipline.
Required Education Master's degree in transportation-related
engineering is required. Doctoral degree or equivalent is
Required Licensures and Certifications Licensure as a Professional
Engineer (PE) in Mississippi is required. Licensure as a PE in
contiguous states, or ability to obtain such within six months, is
desired. Transportation related certifications like PTOE and others
are preferred. Involvement in national and local transportation
related associations, boards and committees is preferred and
Experience This position requires a minimum of fifteen years'
experience in this discipline with as many different modes of
transportation as practical, including ten years of direct client
interaction and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, and
ten years supervisory experience.
Other Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and
regulations pertaining to the practice of transportation
engineering and the implementation of public works infrastructure
- Proficiency in software commonly used in engineering analysis
and design, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, Micro Station, and other
transportation field software such as SYNCHRO, HCS, and/or ESRI
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Project.
- Superior communication skills and in-depth knowledge of company
products and operations.
Keywords: Waggoner Engineering, Jackson , Engineering Discipline Manager - Transportation (PE), Executive , Jackson, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!