Communities and Children's issues reporter
Company: Gannett Co. Inc.
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and
digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed
to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the
national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions
with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local
media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a
wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more
than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital
marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and
WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and
runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Clarion-Ledger, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for
a digital-savvy reporter to cover general assignments in a city
full of important news.
This beat focuses primarily on general assignment and daily stories
with responsibility for real-time digital reporting that is
competitive and insightful. In addition, coverage will include
broader trend stories and their effects on the community.
This is a great job for a high-energy individual with a nose for
news who can generate accurate, clean copy and provide insightful
stories for digital audiences.
* Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via
stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other methods.
* Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat
* Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and
* Cultivate a beat, knowing the ins/outs of how government works
and its key players. Have a genuine interest in people and ability
to build trust.
* Write breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories, and
* Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key
audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and
* Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the
daily lives of readers.
* Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to produce and
* Engage with readers through various social media platforms.
* Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world
* Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism, digital
media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Minimum of 1 to 2 years' reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
Will consider recent college graduates with that have completed
* Experience shooting photos and videos.
* Strong command of AP grammar and style.
* Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content
that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
* A passion for news and content that will work well with audiences
on social platforms.
* Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
* A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
* Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories - not only to
share information but also to listen for what the community is
* An understanding of journalistic ethics and sourcing rules.
* Passion for a fast-paced news environment and understanding of
the digital-first mission.
* A willingness to collaborate with others.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role.
When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what
you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that
includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've
produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in
your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single
document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will
ensure that your application receives the highest
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed
to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will
consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not
discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis
of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin,
ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status,
personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual
orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental
disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including
childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions),
education, genetic characteristics or information, political
affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications
protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the
jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett
Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable
accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or
religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other
process in connection with an individuals' application for
employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such
accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment
Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
* Job Family Frontline Journalists
* Job Function Consumer
* Pay Type Hourly
* Jackson, MS, USA
Keywords: Gannett Co. Inc., Jackson , Communities and Children's issues reporter, Advertising , Jackson, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!